Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 15 of Thankfulness - STARBUCKS!!!


STARBUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! I do know that I have already been thankful for coffee this month, but this is a reoccurring theme for me! As you know from a previous post, I joke that Starbucks saved my life here. When we were living in the hotel during the first month we were here, there was a Starbucks right across the street. They got to know me VERY well there…they still do! 

Our first outing in China, the day after we arrived, was to go to the medical clinic to get my check-up for my residence permit. While on the drive over we saw what looked to be a HORRIFIC wreck where two people were laying on the ground seemingly dead. I have no idea if they really were or not, but to my terrified eyes they were. This put me in total fear of crossing the street on my own.  There are really no traffic laws here and people are always weaving in and out of traffic. It’s a crazy system. 

All that to say…I had to cross the street to get to Starbucks! The first time I went, I think I stood frozen on the side of the road for at least 15 minutes before crossing…then it was a mad dash to get across. But once I was across I had gained so much more confidence. That started my walking the streets of Wuxi more often. Now it is about a 35-40 minute walk to get to Starbucks in my section of town, but o so worth it for a Vanilla – Hazelnut Latte!!! Or a Toffee Nut Latte now that they have all of their Christmas flavors out! YUM!!! 

I can even bring the yummy goodness home for my coffee!!!


Aiden and I walk there at least once a week and if the weather is bad or we are on our way to Julie’s we’ll take a taxi to get there faster. Even Jeffrey (who is NOT a coffee fan…he thinks it’s dirty water) has started enjoying a White Chocolate Mocha from time to time. Now that it is slowly getting colder here we’ll probably go to Starbucks more as a family! What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment