Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day 2 - Chinese Lessons

Learning Mandarin has been a challenging process but one that has been so rewarding. I have never been one to learn a foreign language well, but being immersed in it has really helped. It also helps that I have dear friends around to help me learn and practice as well as getting to put what I learn to use as we are out and about in town.

My teachers are a husband and wife team who are absolutely wonderful! They just had their first child so June was not able to be in the picture since she is home taking care of their little one.

My teacher Leo. (as you can tell I have to have my Xiangcao Natie - vanilla latte for class)
I have lessons every Thursday from 2-3:30pm. By the time lessons are over I am in need of some Advil. Ha! Leo really makes me think. Learning vocabulary is one thing, but listening to full sentences and then having to respond makes my brain hurt. I really am impressed and amazed by my friends whose first language is not English and yet manage to carry on conversations as though that is the only language they know. I'm not sure I'll ever get to that point, but I'm sure going to try.

So today I am thankful for the opportunity to learn the language of the country where I live and use it daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment