Friday, November 8, 2013

Day 8 of Thankfulness - Expat Living

We had a fabulous day here out and about visiting a really cool cultural sight, the Dongling Academy. While we were there it dawned on my how thankful I really I for Expat Living.

What do I mean by this? Let me explain.

First of all the definition of expatriate is "to leave one's native country to live elsewhere." So, we are Expats. And all of the other people here that are not native to China are expats as well. Because of this we all share at least one thing in common. This is not our home. But I love it and here are my top 10 reasons why I am thankful to be an expat in China, specifically Wuxi.

1. Your friends become your family and you are always doing things together.

2. Grocery shopping is 99% of the time done with a friend, or you call around to see if you can pick things up for someone else. Or if someone else is going they are very willing to pick things up for you.

3. You are willing to loan things out or ask to borrow something much easier than back in the states.

4. You pile as many people as you can into the car so you can all ride together.

5. You can sympathize and empathize when someone is going through a "This is China" kinda day.

6. If you find cheese in town, you automatically let everyone know and buy it in bulk.

7. If you need to go out for a walk or to play, most of the time someone will join.

8. You make most of your friends by stalking them and then approaching them on the street to introduce yourself.

9. Life is not done alone. There are always people around to lend a helping hand or to just provide company.

10. Each new day is an adventure. You never know that you will find, see or get grossed out by. You have to be willing to accept the unknown and roll with the punches.

I'm thankful for the fact that being an expat has opened so many doors and this time The Lord has used to stretch me in ways I never would have thoughts. And so many of these things above will I miss when we move home. But for today, I will just be thankful for the day I am given.

No comments:

Post a Comment