Tuesday, May 24, 2011

China Moments


Well so much has occurred in our world over here since my last post.  First and most important in my mind is….wait for it…WE ARE IN OUR APARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one excited girl here! I’m finally getting to sit on my own couch after a long 2.5 months! GLORIOUS!!!! Jeffrey did an amazing job picking out our apartment and it is so very cozy. We moved in on Friday, May 13th 2011 and even though it has only been a week or so, we are very settled and have 99% of the boxes unpacked and furniture arranged. Pictures will be posted as soon as it is fully finished! We have one main floor and a basement in our apartment. The one very odd  thing is that the laundry room is out on the back porch so I have to walk outside to do my laundry. O well...at least I have both a washer and a dryer!!! 

Shopping for food has been interesting as our fridge is so much smaller than ours in America. I have to be very careful of what I buy so that I always have room. We bought some meat the other day and had it in the fridge for two days and when I went to cook it, it was already bad. The lesson here is to ALWAYS put it in the freezer until I am SURE that I am ready to thaw it and cook it. My first “real” meal cooking here in China was spaghetti, but we had some friends over this past weekend and grilled out hamburgers. A little taste of home in a land so far away! My next step is to learn how to cook Chinese food as well as how to substitute ingredients for things that they do not have here. Stay tuned as I’m sure that will be a very interesting adventure!
I finally took a Taxi this week and totally feared for my life. One thing that I struggle with here but know that I am going to have to get used to is the fact that it is ok to NOT put your child in a car seat.  Most taxis do not have seatbelts or room for a stroller so that makes taking one a little tricky. This makes me very grateful to AGCO for is having a driver. That way I can always put Aiden in his car seat for car trips and then decide if I want to put him in the stroller or his carrier. But for short trips, we love to walk. Its great exercise and Aiden loves being outside. He sleeps and I have my iPod going and we just go. Its actually very relaxing as long as it isn’t raining!
We celebrated Aiden turning 5 months old on May 18th. I can’t believe that my son is already 5 months! He has changed so much, even since we’ve been here. This week he has figured out how to roll over constantly and just keeps rolling back and forth. That is definitely making nap time and night time sleeping interesting since he keeps waking himself up my ending up on his tummy. Quite amusing though! I have had to pack away the last of the 3 month clothes and he is fully fitting into his 6 mo clothes now. Getting to be a big boy! In our air shipment we had his exersaucer and now that he has it, he loves to play with it. Just the fact that he can stand up in it on his own and play keeps him occupied. We have started feeding him cereal twice a day. Some times he does great with it and eats the entire bowl...other days it is like pulling teeth to get him to even take a bite. Our child though apparently LOVES the camera and likes to make fun faces as evident in the pictures below. He has a new friend named Joy who is not quite two months old. They are adorable today and Aiden loves to try and calm her when she cries...way to sweet!





This week holds many things for us. Lots of new things to explore. For those who know me well, you know my love of Dunkin Donuts…they have one here in Wuxi!!!! Thursday morning will be an adventure to test their coffee here and then off to find the ToysRUs and BabiesRUs! I must find a vacuum cleaner as well that day so I can keep my rugs clean and fuzz free. So much to do and explore, yet so little time!
We hope to find a good weekend soon to go tour some sights around Wuxi and then plan some big trips in and around China as well. Suggestions are VERY WELCOME!
Well, that is all for the moment my friends. As time marches on I’ll keep you with us on our journey and continue to share all of our very interesting CHINA MOMENTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment